Northern Michigan Wedding Decor Predictions: On Trend or SO Last Year
Updated: Mar 16
Let's talk about trends! Whether you love them or hate them, trends DO drive a lot of what we do in the wedding business. Why?
Weddings are highly visual. Some weddings are for the 'gram and social media, whether we like it or not. And truth be told, all of us follow trends when it comes to wedding styling and design.
Entertainment is also hugely trend driven. The Top 200 requested songs for weddings largely stays the same year after year. #1? "I Wanna Dance with Somebody".
Based on my personal bookings, Pinterest's Top 100 trends and also trendwatch.com (yes, there is a site dedicated to following trends), these are my Top 10 predictions for how 2021 weddings are going to look and feel.
11) Bonus! Sustainability is the watchword of the year! Look for couples choosing to rent decor and other elements rather than just buying more. Couples will choose recyclable materials rather than plastic disposables. And they will definitely be looking for vendors that place emphasis on using local goods and services in their businesses. Here at Heart Wedding Decor, most of our wooden items are handmade by local craftspeople.
10) Outdoor weddings, even at traditional venues, will be much in demand. One big reason for that is larger guest counts may be possible in the great out-of-doors, provided we are still under restrictions indoors.
9) Funny signs and puns will be popular requests again for 2021, especially those that use humor in regard to postponements. "Let's try this again" or similar wording is a great way to add humor to what has been stressful for all of us. As I've always said, I would rather laugh than cry.
8) And on that same note of finding humor, how about playing songs with a nod to the delay and making the best of it? "At Last" or "Better Day" will surge as requested songs in my opinion.
7) Lounges will again be a popular request to give a homey, intimate feel. Even if they have to be physically distant, they'll still give that feeling of hanging out in your living room with family and friends.
6) Low light and tons of candles! Whether you choose votives, tapers, candelabras or other vessels, candles are SUCH a perfect way to add ambiance and intimacy to your wedding! And at Heart, they are quite economical to rent. As my husband, who has been a wedding entertainer for over 20 years always says, if the lights are bright no one will want to dance!
5) Live-streaming and Zoom rooms are the new "norm" for many weddings and events. If you have to cut your guest count, a great way to include them in the Big Day is by planning a Zoom with everyone. My husband now offers this with @aplusentertains or @thomasheathevents. The best companies to offer this will also offer a planning/training service to assist older guests and others who may not be super tech-savvy.
4) Vintage decor is still a super HOT request. It is now termed "grandmillenial" style and here at Heart, we offer a huge variety of vintage style items for rent. Candlesticks and furniture (check out that peacock chair!) are a great way to bring in that vintage look and feel.
3) Pretty pastels, or what I like to call "happy colors" will be huge this spring and summer. A great way to bring in this palette? Your linens and floral. We can help with both!
2) A laidback feel will definitely be a "thing" this season. This can be achieved by using a loose fabric runner on the tables, casual charger plates and loose floral and greenery arrangements. We'll also see more casual seating, such as garden chairs rather than "fancy". Backyard weddings are also trending, according to Pinterest.
1) What I am seeing as the most popular trend for this season, and our biggest request company-wide? A bigger portion of the budget being spent on creating an amazing guest experience! This is being done by spending more on entertainment and decor. My husband has had many requests this year for live music, including musicians such as sax players or percussionists playing along with the DJ! As far as decor, we are seeing more interactive signage and games being rented. And for a truly unique touch? How about a professional Master of Ceremonies that tells your "Love Story" to your family and friends right after your first dance? My husband is specially trained to perform this, and it will have your guests laughing, crying and high-fiving throughout the story.
Would you like to learn more? Shoot me a message or text.
#WeddingRentals #WeddingDecorationIdeas #WeddingDecorInspo #nomiweddings #PetoskeyWeddingDecorRentals #DestinationWeddings #CharlevoixWeddingDecorRentals #GaylordWeddingDecorRentals #BayHarborWeddingDecorRentals #HarborSpringsWeddingDecorRentals #TraverseCityWeddingDecorRentals #weddingdecor